This paper answers the question: “how should we evaluate new user interface systems so that true progress is being made?”. To answer this question he articulated why UI system research has been made different recently and how conventional evaluation made produce errors rather than valid results. Further regarding UI development tools he made a list of ‘claims’ that toolkits should live up to.
A framework of possible claims:
- STU: Situations, Tasks, and Users;
- Problem not previously solved;
- Reduce solution viscosity;
- Expressive leverage
- Expressive match
- Empowering new design participants;
- Inductive combination;
- Simplifying interconnection;
- Ease of combination
- Power in combination
- Can it scale up?
It is a must-read paper for whoever is developing toolkits.