Qualitative vs. Quantitative: A False Dichotomy
- Descriptive statistics
- Statistical tests
- Bayesian analysis
- Conclusion validity – is there a relationship between the variables?
- Internal validity – is the relationship causal?
- Construct validity – does theoretical model match operationalization?
- External validity – do findings generalize to other groups/places/times?
More About Validity
- Credibility (~internal validity) – how believable from the perspective of the participants?
- Transferability (~external validity) – what about other contexts?
More Than One Method
- Triangulation – test findings in different ways
- Complementarity – clarify and illustrate results from one method with another.